ITV Local Yorkshire Blog: Cattle Call - a mischievous musical

Monday 14 April 2008

Cattle Call - a mischievous musical

The Phoenix Dance Theatre at the West Yorkshire Playhouse last weekend.

Cattle Call, a collaboration between choreographer Javier De Frutos and composer Richard Thomas – also the writer and composer of Jerry Springer, the Opera. Described as an explosive theatrical event, Natasha Wenham went to see this mischievous musical.


Not knowing what to expect from the performance overall and speaking for myself I felt the opening scenes sparked a sense of confusion amongst the audience. A combination of loud opera style singing and active dancers swept the stage floor with each dancer chanting numbers. My first instincts were that It was unusual, musical, energetic and vibrant. At one point in the performance I thought ‘this is complete madness’ so much is going on and I couldn't keep my eyes off the show. I instantly fell in love with the cast members as they gave an excellent performance, there seem to be a strong sense of direction and choreography; not one move looked to be out of position. It was also nice to see such a broad mixture of cultural diversity amongst the cast members who all looked as though they had a good connection between one and other during the their performances. What I liked in particular was the fact that one of the main characters who was more dominantly lead ironically happened to be the most petite and smallest of the cast.

Throughout the play I found it comical, humorous and full of witty innuendos in the music lyrics which had me at the edge of my seat at most times amused. There were also occasions where I wanted to get up out of my seat and join in the dance as I really enjoyed the music. The simple use of setting with most of the performance taking place in the same space, with occasional use of bars to simulate been locked away highlighted how well structured and organised the performance actually was.

My interpretation of the play had me comparing the fact that the play seemed to based on the idea of the gruelling process of auditions, in a sense it was almost like a theatrical version of ‘Fame’ maybe even like an’ X factor’. But I couldn't help comparing the auditions process to a real Cattle Call, where you see a herd of Cattle all confined to a small space waiting for there turn to be chosen to be slaughtered. My comparison arose as I watched the talented dancers perform their crazy (as I’d put it) dance moves emphasizing their flexibility and stamina. Also the fact that they were all wearing a numbered sign just waiting for their number to be called.

Sadly the run at the WY Playhouse was only short, but I'm sure it will be back somewhere in the region before long. If you enjoy a good musical performance with much of the emphasis on dance, and not to forget the comedy, ‘Cattle Call’ is definitely a must see.
 
Feed Shark