ITV Local Yorkshire Blog: YTV, end of an era. A personal view.

Friday 13 March 2009

YTV, end of an era. A personal view.

So, as they say, the end of an era. The YTV building in Leeds mothballed like an old lounge suit which is no longer fashionable. ITV Local is to close, no more productions of Heartbeat.

I shall always know the place as Yorkshire Television and much prefered the bright and cheerful chevron to the re-branded ITV Yorkshire with the coal black lettering.

The studio building on Kirkstall Road may not be the finest architecture, but to me it is iconic. It's a place that has come to represent a powerful force in the culture of Yorkshire and which has produced some memorable people and programmes. In the forty years we have seen programmes like Follyfoot, Emmerdale, Touch of Frost and Countdown become part TV history. Recently we celebrated our birthday with a look back at some familiar shows. See our page dedicated to 40 years of YTV with some clips from shows.

Forty years ago (yes I know I’m ancient) I was just old enough to be aware of the start of Yorkshire Television back in 1968. I can still hear in my mind the musical sting (a phrase from On Ilkley Moor Bah T'at and announcers like Maggie Mash and a chap with a dark brown voice who's name escapes me.

While at school I was fortunate enough to been given a tour of the studios where I remember a production of the drama Hadleigh taking place with Gerald Harper. My cousin worked on Emmerdale Farm and as a teenager I was smuggled into the YTV bar on many occasions.

I have always harboured a sentimental attachment to YTV and wanted to work at the long low brick building on Kirkstall Road. Eighteen months ago I did in fact return “home” to work in the Calendar Newsroom. I didn’t know at the time that ITV was about to embark on the biggest cuts in its history. Calendar will continue for the time being, but for how long we can't be sure.

For me, my passion for Yorkshire is mirrored by my passion for ITV Yorkshire and it's one that is shared by many of the people who work here in the Leeds studios. It is a devastatingly sad day.

see photos of the YTV building

What are your memories of Yorkshire Television and the service is has provided? Have your say.

First posted 4/3/09 on http://blogs.itvlocal.com/Yorkshire/
 
Feed Shark